Lebanese cherries

Photo source.

I have a confession to make. In the Philippines I have never tasted any freshly picked cherry. I only got to bite the one on top of a smoothie, black forest cake and oh well, the bottled cherries I used in the chilled mango cake.

It’s been more than 5 months since I came here, and still I never appreciated any of the fruits in the market. Probably it’s my loyalty to Philippine brands that’s keeping me. That’s why even I met more than 100 varieties of mangoes during last month’s festival, I still long for the manggang kalabaw back home.

But finally, I met my match. My first munch of Lebanese cherries hit me! It tasted like duhat (blackberry), it’s lightly sweet and perfect when quite chilled and a little sprinkling of iodized salt makes it yummier. I am now starting to enjoy the fruit scene in UAE.

6 comments for “Lebanese cherries

1. July 8, 2008 at 5:05 pm

mom and i make picked mangoes all the time. yesterday, we were able to get indian mangoes and a jar of bagoong – a combination that tastes heavenly =).

kaynis last blog post..Texas and Bhutan in DC

2. July 8, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Woweee! Ang sarap naman. :) The indian mangoes here are the ones literally from that country, not the cute mangoes from the Philippines. The bagoong in Pinoy section in supermarkets is ok naman, but I super miss manggang kalabaw. I’m a big fan of manggang hilaw at bagoong!

3. July 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm

i eat cherries everyday! freshly picked here in california cherry farms..its the season again so eto yan ang merienda ko everyday…walang ganyan sa pinas e…

i like the big and crunchy ones…kahit expensive pa sya..i buy like 3lbs of it! haha….(ngayon mga $4 per lb na sya dito) and with iodized salt syempre!!! yummmmmmieeeeee!

iyahs last blog post..How to cook ADOBONG MANAWK! (Lol..this is funny!!!)

4. Vea
    July 9, 2008 at 1:48 am

The pic makes me wanna pic some of those cherries of my monitor and put them in my mouth. I’ve always had this fantasy of picking fruits from a tree or an orchard and filling up the whole basket.

Veas last blog post..The Camden’s Prodigal Daughter

5. July 9, 2008 at 4:38 am

@Rhea: Cherry season pala dyan. I can imagine how ‘red’ is the market because of that. Lucky you, freshly picked ba naman. :)

6. July 9, 2008 at 4:40 am

@Vea: Same wish here, I’m looking forward to that moment that I’m in a berry and cherry plantation. :)