Hhmm, another Philippine Star Plagiarist?

I got a new comment in my guestbook today. It says,

Hello. I’m writing this because months ago you were one of the first to call out Philippine Star, specifically Mayenne Carmona, for plagiarizing. Well, looks like the great newspaper has done it again- plagiarizing a CD review of Metallica’s new album from Rolling Stone.

I checked the related articles.  Oh well, Philippine Star’s version seemed a copycat.

Philippine Star, September 27, 2008 issue. Authored by Jay Ortega:

In the ‘80s, thrash metal wasn’t just a scene, it was an arms race seemingly likened to the Cold War: riffs were speeding up, drum kits got bigger and hair was grown for head-banging. During those days, Metallica was the new king of the metal hill.

With 1991’s “The Black Album,” their most successful one to date, Metallica went for unilateral disarmament, slowing their tempos considerably, shortening their tracks, smelting their crunge guitars and pulverizing drums into chrome-plated pop-rock hooks

Death Magnetic” also marks the group’s annulment from producer Bob Rock, who helmed every Metallica album from 1991 to 2004 and pushed them toward succinctness and immediacy — Including “St. Anger,” where his producing magic all but disappeared, added to the fact that the band was on the brink of self-destruction (as evidenced in the Some Kind Of Monster rock-umentary).

Rolling Stones Review, September 18, 2008 issue.

In the Eighties, thrash metal wasn’t a scene, it was an arms race: riffs kept speeding up, drum kits got bigger. But with 1991’s Black Album, Metallica opted for unilateral disarmament, slowing their tempos, shortening their songs and smelting their chugging guitars and piston-powered drums into armor-plated pop hooks.

Death Magnetic marks the group’s split with producer Bob Rock, who helmed every Metallica album from 1991 to 2004 and pushed them toward concision and immediacy — until St. Anger, when he seemed to throw up his hands altogether.

So on…  (Click the links to read the full article.)

Ho-hum.  Paraphrasing didn’t work.  It’s so silly.  Like a pupil’s work on synonyms.  Let’s see what the editor will do.  Another “so-called apology” like what Mayenne Carmona did?  Don’t sing the same old tunes.  Please.

Share/Save/Bookmark

36 comments for “Hhmm, another Philippine Star Plagiarist?

1. September 30, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Good grief. Do people not learn. You will get caught. Maybe not the day you do it. Or the next. Or a week. But sooner or later someone will notice. How sad. It’s so…amateurish.

Sintas last blog post..The Little Tea-ings

2. September 30, 2008 at 7:47 pm

OMG. They should’ve just referenced the “source” rather than paraphrase. This made them look silly. Wonder how many times the “writer” used the thesaurus to look for the synonyms. Yay! Pinoys are known to be really really good and in-depth writers. But yeah, pinoys are also well-known for being copycats in many aspects. So this one shouldn’t surprise us.

3. October 1, 2008 at 1:46 am

anubeh. why do they keep on doing this to themselves?

caryns last blog post..kyoto contest winners!

4. October 1, 2008 at 3:41 am

ugh. plagiarism is no different from stealing. it’s one thing to re-word, it’s another thing to take snippets from another’s writing and take credit for it. my bet is that phil star will just “force” an apology out of the writer and let the plagiarizer (is there such a word) continue to write for the daily as if nothing happened. double ugh.

5. October 1, 2008 at 4:34 am

Why is it so hard for them to put a tiny credit line at the end of the article. Or are they purposely doing this to get traffic? Hmmm…

6. October 1, 2008 at 7:04 am

lol – need i say more?

myminihearts last blog post..Im going back to school!

7. PM
    October 1, 2008 at 8:25 am

nyak. pambihira naman o national daily.

PMs last blog post..Out of Stock

8. October 1, 2008 at 2:03 pm

another one? wow, they’re so thick. should we just form a commission or a committee to keep watch on plagiarism on certain newspapers?

kaynis last blog post..Travel: Pisa Album

9. ReD
    October 1, 2008 at 3:33 pm

hmmm… they never learn…

ReDs last blog post..Soaking Wet, No Sleep, Thanks for the Gift…

10. acid
    October 1, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Thanks. I hope Rolling Stone sues these thieves for intellectual theft. Dishonest bastards.

11. October 1, 2008 at 4:44 pm

I’ve sent a mail to the editor as well. Let’s see what’s gonna happen to our joined call. ;)

12. October 1, 2008 at 4:47 pm

yeah lets have a committee…the “copy-apology” committee. hehe…

rheas last blog post..“considering” to be “keen”

13. October 1, 2008 at 5:33 pm

i never liked the phil star in the first place. *big grin* :D

it’s unbelievable that they never learn. :(

odettes last blog post..my desk

14. acid
    October 2, 2008 at 1:30 am

Also, I do hope the blogging community pick this up. Let’s spread this around naman, so maybe enough voices can make them ashamed of themselves…. for the umpteenth time.

15. scrolldown
    October 3, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I’m sure RollingStone, if contacted, will make a move.
    Intellectual property rights still has meaning in the US and violations in whatever forms are taken to court (the Naked Cowboy and M&M come to mind).
    Now, I hope Jay Ortega and the editors at the Philippine Star have millions to spare when litigation starts and ultimately, judgment falls.

16. October 3, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I noticed someone left a comment in that particular article in Rolling Stone. Calling its attention on Philippine Star’s copying.

17. acid
    October 4, 2008 at 12:43 am

hey, philstar erased the page. brian gorrell featured this also.

18. October 4, 2008 at 8:28 am

Hmm, just like what they did with Carmona’s article. I’m expecting a sort of apology in the printed copy. I’m interested with Rolling Stones’ move. ;)

19. October 4, 2008 at 12:16 pm

It just goes to show that some editors out there fail to do a very good job of vetting a writer’s work. Shame on Jay Ortega.

Panadeross last blog post..Fire and Rain

20. October 4, 2008 at 2:53 pm

It’s the same editor who passed Mayenne Carmona’s copying.

21. scrolldown
    October 4, 2008 at 3:38 pm

anybody know the name of the editor?
    i hope jay and this incompetent also enjoyed “…and justice for all” – the tune that rollingstone will be singing during litigation.

22. October 5, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Hi. I’ve no idea of the editor’s name. I just sent a mail to him/her through the link in the online version.

23. Gershwin
    October 6, 2008 at 8:59 am

Hello,

I made a thread in PinoyExchange just to make people aware about this. I don’t have a blog, so I don’t know where else to get people’s attention, except in forums. The link is here: http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366186

I know I maybe toeing the line, because I don’t know how tightknit the Big Men of PinoyExchange are with the Big Men of PhilStar. If you must know, the article may have been deleted by PhilStar but it still exists via its cached page: http://tinyurl.com/4j36st

I just don’t understand why PhilStar would allow this. Are they incompetent or negligent? It just alarms me.

24. October 1, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Such a shame. :(

25. October 1, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Haha, I remember the line from the film, “… second rate trying hard copycat!”

26. October 1, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Hhmm, tinatamad at gustong mapahiya? Or hindi nahihiya? :)

27. October 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I especially agree to the point that they’ll act as if nothing happened. As for Mayenne Carmona’s plagiarized article last time, she and her editor didn’t pay much attention (patay malisya)the first week that we called their attention.

28. October 1, 2008 at 4:35 pm

You made a point there. But that’s horrible. They’re compromising credibility and ethics.

29. October 1, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Haha. ;)

30. October 1, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Kakahiya, ‘no?

31. October 1, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I’ve stopped doing the scrutiny in Phil. Star’s article. Their copying is too obvious (and becoming frequent) to miss. They still play “catch me if you can”. ;)

32. October 1, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Copy-apology-copy-apology- or deadma. Cycle.

33. October 2, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Haha! Hillarious comm. ;)

34. October 2, 2008 at 6:40 pm

I still read Philippine Star (online) because of Jessica Zafra, Jim Paredes and a few more. Even before my plagiarism posts, I do think that they are the main source of meaty articles there. :)

35. October 2, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Maybe they’re used it. Let’s see if Rolling Stones will make a move. Maybe.

36. October 6, 2008 at 4:01 pm

I’ve checked the thread. Glad that was not deleted by the moderator. Yes, the online version was already lifted out. But just like Carmona’s article, it was cached. I’ve no idea if they’ve issued apology in the printed copy.