May

I am writing this because I am a little nostalgic about the childhood photos that I have seen recently. This led me to recollect some of the stuff that consumed me in their own proportions as a child.

(a) Batibot (1984)

tayo_na_sa_BATIBOT_by_tikbaloycube
(Photo source)

Our own version of Sesame Street is and will be one of my biggest favorites forever! Kuya Bodjie, Kuya Mario, Ate Sienna, Pong Pagong, Kikong Matsing, Manang Bola, and the rest of the group: we miss them. I hope a re-mastered DVD or something similar will be produced. I am sure it will be a hit.

(Batibot means small, but strong and robust. I watched this video many times and I even sang along with it.)

(Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho featured them in 2007. Here is the clip in case you have missed the reunion.)

(b) Bioman (1984)

Red 1, Green 2, Blue 3, Yellow 4, Pink 5! Me and my playmates tried to re-enact their fights and antics. I was Yellow 4. Why? Because most of the girls wanted to be Pink 5, so let them compete.

(This Bioman opening theme gives me goosebumps and transports me to yesteryears.)

(c) Ora Engkantada

I have been googling a photo or video to show you Lola Torya (played by Luz Fernandez; she was Luka in Okay Ka, Fairy Ko), but I did not find any. At 6:00 PM, kids are watching with so much fascination as she opens her huge book containing magical stories.

(d) Gabi ng Lagim

I am not referring to the movie but to DZRH’s radio program (play). As a youngster, there was another way to tell that it is 8:00 PM already. When you would hear the terrifying sound from the wailing dog over the radio, it means that the ghost and/or suspense stories being featured weekly through Gabi ng Lagim has started. I do not remember the exact duration of the program, but I think it lasts for 30 minutes from Monday to Saturday. It is regarded as one of the longest running radio plays in the Philippine history. How did I get to know about this? My late grandmother was a follower (and me, too).

(e) Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang (1985)

Mga_Kuwento_ni_Lola_basyang-428x600
(Photo source)

I am one of the 80s kiddos, hence, I am so thrilled whenever I would chance upon old movies on Cinema One. Over the weekend, I catched Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang halfway. It is a trilogy which featured Gabby Concepcion, Snooky Serna, Maricel Soriano, William Martinez, Nora Aunor, Tirso Cruz III, and the Triplets (Manilyn Reynes, Tina Paner and Sheryl Cruz). The story began showing the late Chichay as Lola Basyang telling stories to the kids. I remember playing teks (cards) and may pambato (lucky charm) was the Lola Basyang card. I wish I still have it.

(f) Zuma (1985)

zuma

The younger generation may initially regard Zuma as a computer game. There is little relevance to pyramids though. In this movie, he was depicted as an offspring of an Aztec serpent God. He was buried under a pyramid and was incidentally “awakened” by an archaeological team doing expedition. You can just imagine the trouble he made in that modern era. He murdered a lot. I had almost sleepless nights after seeing this, especially that the elders tricked us that Zuma is probably true and that he likes to eat kids, especially the girls who are still outside the house at night. (I used to play a lot on the streets. Post-Zuma, I was normally home before the sunset until I wisen up and discerned for myself that it is not true.) Since the movie was a hit, Anak ni Zuma (1987) was born.

That time I thought both movies were amazing. But after decades of not seeing it until I chanced upon it again in 2008 on TV, wow, I realized it is sobrang pangit (poorly produced). But even so, if I have the chance, I would still watch it.

(g) Bagets (1984)

I wrote about it last year. One of the movies that do not age. There is something about watching the old faces that makes us smile, especially the actors when they were still taking chances to stardom. Also, it is noteworthy that it is among the Tagalog movies which have a very nice soundtrack. Bagets 2 was produced the same year. The prequel is better though.

(Bagets opening theme. The dance steps from this movie will be immortal.)

(h) Dear Heart (1981)

Picnik collage
(Yes, there are days when I do take photos of movies being shown on TV.)

Well, I was just a toddler when it premiered. Technically, I did not see it during the 80s, but (first time) in 2008. I am not a fan, but Gabby Concepcion’s and Sharon Cuneta’s innocence were very adorable in this movie. I can watch it over and again, unlike KC Concepcion’s For the First Time that I have not yet finished until now. I have tried at least five times already and I always dozed off. It is like a sleeping pill. No offense meant to her fans.

In Dear Heart, I also enjoyed recollecting the old Baguio (mainly filmed there), seeing Sharon by the beach and running with Gabby, not on a swimwear but in jeans, the coñotic dialogues and trivial things (including the apparent advertisements from Coca Cola, Shakeys and other sponsors). I love this movie.

We will have our own favorites and/or things that will remain in our subconscious whichever generation we belong. And I know that most of you will nod in agreement when I say that these are part and parcel of our own being now (special shoutout to Batibot!).

Share/Bookmark

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

24 Responses to “Running in my head during the 80s”

Ahh… Batibot. So many warm memories associated with that show :) ‘Alin, alin, alin ang naiba? Isipin kung alin ang naiba.’ ‘Ba-be-bi-bo-bu, perlas na bilog, wag tutulog-tulog…’

witsandnuts Reply:

Favorite ko yung portion ni Manang Bola. :-D

May 26th, 2010

i’m a child of the 80s too and also miss batibot!
i’ve blogged about it too sometime last year.
thanks to youtube, i can introduce the cast to my kid whenever he gets tired of nickelodeon and cartoon network.

May 26th, 2010

I enjoyed watching Batibot. I loved listening to Ate Sienna and Kuya Bodgie’s stories. Aliw din ako kay Pong Pagong and Manang Bola.

I was a Raymond Lauchgengco fan in the Bagets days.

I love Dear Heart. I still watch it whenever it’s aired on TV.

May 26th, 2010

i loved Batibot and i do remember lola basyang. i hated zuma though because that movie scared me so much.

May 26th, 2010

OMG— too many blasts from my pasts. You are taking me down memory lane here.

May 26th, 2010

I also grew up watching Batibot. Who could ever forget the ever adorable Batibot? I hope they remake Batibot. What do you think?

Lots of love,

May 26th, 2010

yay batibot! pong pagong! ay bioman at ako si pink 5! kakamiss ang bagets. may news dati mag remake daw ng bagets pero till now eh wala namang update. sana reunion ganun. napanood ko na yung dear heart pero nag wo-work na ko. kilig nga talaga ang loveteam nila. kaya pala si sharon lagi sinasabi na fave loveteam nya daw ay sharon gabby kahit na ganun ang nangyari sa kanila.

May 27th, 2010

hurrah to the 80s!!

by the way, i was always Green 2, then I became Green Dragon 2. :)

May 27th, 2010

Naabutan ko ang Batibot, Bioman, Gabi ng Lagim…

May 27th, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Witsy Nutsy, Witsy Nutsy. Witsy Nutsy said: Running in my head during the 80s (shout out to Batibot!) http://bit.ly/9o8EFk [...]

ako kilig pa sa sharon gabby tandem, hehe.

Batibot nun and nag nanny sa mga anak ko while nag lalaba ako sa likod bahay.
Those were the days, nung wala pa ang blogging, fs fb at KABLOGS lol

May 28th, 2010

hahaha i love all of that. sana may bagong generation ng batibot.

May 28th, 2010

I can totally remember how terrified I was whenever I hear Gabi ng Lagim on the radio. Paunahan kami ng kapatid ko sumiksik sa nanay at tatay namin kapag on air na yung program. hahahaha. nice post!

working estudyante Reply:

i agree with what this guy said. i remember everytime we turn the radio on to gabi ng lagim…grabe as ni nagtatalukbong pa kami ng kumot. it was scary. lalo na pag nilalagyan nila ng mga special effect sa radyo. hehehe those were the days. and who wouldn’t remember batibot. batibot tlg ang original kid show!!!

nakakamiss maging bata ulit! hi shutterchitecture. musta na? jejeje jejemon lang…

May 28th, 2010

Batibot, I loved that show. Thanks for posting the youtube. I’ll show it to my son =)

May 31st, 2010

Ahww nkkmiss ang Batibot, thanks for sharing the videos.. =)

June 8th, 2010

hahahaha! PANAHON KO TO!!!

bubz
July 12th, 2010

Batibot, Ora Engkantada, Bioman, Gabi ng Lagim, Mga Kwento ni Lola ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

July 13th, 2010

Gosh, lumaki ako dito sa mga shows na to. I love Batibot, Gabi ng Lagim, Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang at Bioman. Pwede na din natin isama Shyder, Voltes V. Memory lane to grabe and I love it. It seems it was only yesterday when in fact it has been 20 years…

Dark Magician
February 23rd, 2011

Kilala nyo ba si piling?
Yung Madalas gumaganap na patay, tapos biglang mabubuhay tapos magtatakbuhan mga tao?

maricel llamoso Reply:

oo naman…

Rommel Sucgang
June 9th, 2011

sana ibalik ang batibot at mga kwento ni lola basyang at ang mag kwento si ms.gloria romero.

maricel llamoso
September 25th, 2011

I love Batibot too and 80′s movies. I still remember when I was a kid, my grandma brought me to a local cinema in our province to watch the movie of Maricel Soriano, Inday sa Balitaw. Actually, I’m still searching for the movie of Gabby Concepcion and Maricel Soriano, Pepe en Pilar. I tried to search it in youtube but no luck.

Dave D